Get Fit - Learn Roller Derby
Derby Por Vida (DPV) is the training ground for future Derby Dolls, our Enforcers Ref Crew, or those just looking to add something different into their workout routine. And at just $15 per class, it sure beats yoga.
We do have Roller Skates for you to borrow at the track. We also have protective gear to loan. For a $50 refundable deposit, we will give you a set of kneepads, wrist guards, elbow pads, and a helmet for the 8 week period. Return them when you are done with them, and get your money back. Just bring your own mouthguard - available at any sporting goods store.
Skills for Thrills - Wednesday & Sunday
This 8-week course will take you through the basics of roller skating. We begin with teaching you how to stride forward and work up to teaching you basic roller derby game play. Brand new skaters should start no later than the first 2 weeks of any given session, to ensure that you'll be able to learn basic skills along with the rest of the class.
Intermediate Skills for Thrills - Sunday
Once you’ve been around for a couple sessions - or if you already have the skills - you may be eligible to move up to our intermediate class, held on Sunday afternoons. In this class you'll train harder, learn more complex skills and become acquainted with roller derby game strategy. If you plan on trying out for the league’s Fresh Meat program, you should definitely take this class. Ask a trainer for permission, if you think you're ready!
Questions? Email Derby Por Vida at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our next 8-week session for beginners starts: Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Wednesday 6:00pm-7:00pm: Beginner Skills For Thrills
Trainers: Rad Hamilton/Sweet Home AlaBAMM'ya
Sunday 11:00am-12:00pm: Beginner Skills for Thrills
Trainers: Sheezus/ Shady Hawkins
Sunday 12:00pm-1:00pm: Intermediate Skills for Thrills
Trainers: Sheezus/ Shady Hawkins
All classes take place predominately on the banked track, but they may also include work in the flat track area.
SKILLS FOR THRILLS
An 8-week class that teaches skating skills for beginners.
Week 1: Falls and Form
Week 2: Take Offs and Stop part 1
Week 3: Take Offs and Stop part 2
Week 4: Jumps & Basic Blocking
Week 5: Transitions, Backwards, and Whips
Week 6: Intro to Walls and Packwork
Week 7: Review
Week 8: Intro to Game Play
What you need to get rolling:
Cost for the program is $15 per class and you MUST have your own basic medical insurance coverage to participate. Skates and gear rental included. No rollerblades allowed. All classes are located at the Derby Dolls' Dollosseum at 4900 Alhambra Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90032. Parking is available in our lot, but PLEASE be willing to tandem park with your new Derby Por Vida pals. (Team skaters practice after Derby Por Vida, so we want to avoid them blocking you in!)
Do NOT park in the residential neighborhood.
Here's how you get started:
- Please RSVP HERE 24 hours in advance if you plan to attend class during the first two weeks (after that, no need to RSVP.) This is how to let us know you'll be attending, if this is your first time and/or if you are not yet on the DPV Facebook Group: DPV Extracurricular.
- Bring your picture ID to your first session (Driver's License or Passport), along with a photocopy of your medical insurance card.
- Bring $15 to pay for the class. Cash and checks only. Exact change required.
- Bring water and a towel.
- Wear comfortable workout clothes that are breathable. We encourage you to cover your legs with pants or strong leggings/tights.
- Show up 30 minutes in advance to process paperwork and to locate appropriate gear. If possible, please fill out this online waiver in advance: DPV Insurance and Waiver Form.
- Please note that we may or may not have enough gear for everybody. Please arrive early if you need to borrow equipment.
- Please consult with a physician regarding your ability to participate in a high-impact sport. You will be required to fill out a Release of Liability waiver before starting your first class.